Using Pearl on a Hosted Server?
Click Here for Pearl Version 5.02
Pearl Version 5.02
Cumulative of all previous versions.
Appropriate for all Pearl users (including Loan Servicing)
Installation of the update will take time and attention, and requires all users to exit Pearl. It’s best to do during the day when the Consulting Team is available for help if you need it.
BEFORE YOU START: Before downloading the update ensure that no messages pop-up upon opening Pearl. That includes Compact and Repair reminders, and License Renewal reminders.
The file is about 9.5 MB (mostly because it includes new help text), so please be patient with the download. Let us know if you prefer to have the update emailed to you, or mailed to you on a CD.
If you are still using Access97, call our office for a copy of the update suitable for you. this version is appropriate for all later versions of Access.
TO DOWNLOAD: Please RIGHT-CLICK the button at right and choose "Save Target As...." (or your browser may indicate "Save Link As...") Then navigate to the \Pearl\System folder, before clicking "Save."
1. Download and extract the update.
· When the download is complete, close the download window. Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to navigate to the \Pearl\ System folder. The file you just downloaded is named "UPD120521_2K.zip".
· There are a few different ways to extract the update:·
· If you use Winzip, right-click it and point to "Winzip" on the menu. Select "extract to here" on the sub-menu.
· If you use the Windows native extraction utility, right-click and choose "Extract All" to open the Windows Extraction Wizard. Click Next. This will take you to the Select a Destination screen. Click on the destination and delete the filename "UPD120521_2K". The address should now have the path to your \Pearl\System folder. Click Next. You may be asked to Confirm File Replace, select Yes. Then click Finish to exit the Windows Extraction Wizard.
· If you do not see "Winzip" or "Extract All," click "Open With" and choose "Compressed (zipped) Folders". The contents of the zip file will open in the same window. Copy those contents to your \Pearl\System folder.
· If you are asked to replace existing files of the same name, say Yes or click "Always." If necessary when done, click OK to the "extraction completed" window and close the unzip program.
2. Install Pearl Software update
· Before installing the update: 1) If you have Windows 7, turn off the user account control, 2) Make sure no one else is using Pearl.
· Note that after you apply this update, an email will automatically be sent back to our office notifying us that you have installed this version so we recommend that you are connected to the Internet and have your email open before installing Pearl. This information is critical to our technical support.
· If you use Pearl via Remote Desktop, use a login with administrative rights (specifically read/write permissions on c:\windows\help) or log in as the user "administrator" before proceeding.
· In My Computer or Windows Explorer, go back to \Pearl\System folder, double-click the file "P120521_2K.mdb"
· If you have Access Security, log in as "SecurityManager."
· You will be notified that this process will make a backup of Pearl and then copy new Pearl programs into your database. To continue, click "OK."
· In the window that pops up, you are asked to choose the database file into which you want to update Pearl programs. Navigate to the Pearl folder and select file "Pearl.MDB" by clicking on it once, and then click "Open."
· After a minute or two, you will start seeing status messages appear on the status bar at the bottom of the screen. Please wait while the installation is in process. You may see two copies of MS Access open minimized on your computer during the installation, that's OK. If messages pop up warning you that the Microsoft Jet Database engine "can't find" certain objects, click "OK" to these messages and proceed.
· After 5-10 minutes, a message will pop up indicating that Pearl programs are installed. When it does, Click "OK." Close the My Computer or Windows Explorer Window.
3. Prepare All Objects
· Open Pearl exclusively as follows: First open Access directly instead of using your Pearl shortcut. Then choose "Open" on the File Menu. Navigate to Pearl.mdb and click it once to select it (do not double-click). In the bottom right corner of the "Open" window, click the drop-down list for the "Open" button and choose "Open exclusive". That will prevent others from using Pearl while you're working.
· If you have Access Security, be sure you log in as "SecurityManager."
· A message will come up indicating that Pearl needs to run "Prepare All Objects." Click the "OK" button. This process may take as short as 5 minutes, or as long as 30 minutes. You must be attentive to messages that may pop up throughout the process, read them carefully, and call us for explanations. If any messages say "Pearl Error" in the heading, DO NOT PROCEED but call us (877) 767-6703 for immediate assistance, free of charge.
· Access may pop up a dialog asking if it should grant access to email addresses. Click OK; a second message will come up asking you to confirm that you want to send the email. Click OK to this, too. This is the email sent back to our office to confirm your version.
· When prompted, click "OK" to compact your database. Your database will close when it is finished compacting.
· For multi-user environments, one of the steps of "Prepare All Objects" is to move the Pearl Designer database into the Archive folder. It is recommended that you notify each of your users (who will now have their own copy of Pearl Designer) to re-create their new Pearl Designer by clicking the "Reports" radio button on the Pearl Navigator and then clicking the "Design" button. [That way they are not surprised the first time they try to use it, and they can plan to create it before they need it since it can take several minutes to create.]
4. Find Windows Menubar
You may be among a number of clients who may get an error message upon opening Pearl. The error message may include either of the following: "C:\Pearl\Source\Pearl Master Programs.mdb' is not a valid path..." or "Microsoft Access can't find the Pearl macro "Pearl Form Menubar." If you see either of those messages, click OK and proceed with the following steps.
· Drop down the File Menu, and select "Get External Data," and under that option, select "Import." That will bring up the "Import" window.
· Use the "Import" window to navigate to the \Pearl\System folder where you saved the update file "P120521_2K.mdb". Select the update file by clicking on it once, and then click the "Import" button. That will bring up the "Import Objects" window.
· In the "Import Objects" window, find the button that says "Options >>" and click it. Additional options will appear. Look at the section of the window labeled "Import" and click to add a checkbox near "Menus and Toolbars." Ignore other checkboxes. Then click OK. Exit Pearl.
For Access2007 or 2010:
· Click on the External Data tab, then select the Access command in the Import group. This will open the "Get External Data" window.
· In the "Get External Data" window, click on browse and navigate to the \Pearl\System folder where you saved the update file "P120521_2K.mdb". Double click on the file to open, which returns you to the "Get External Data" window. Make sure the button next to the 'Import tables, queries,...' option is selected, then click OK. In the "Import Objects" window, find the button that says "Options >>" and click it. Additional options will appear. Look at the section of the window labeled "Import" and click to add a checkbox near "Menus and Toolbars." Then click OK. Exit Pearl.
Open Pearl again and begin working
The instructions above are comprehensive and should allow you to complete the installation independently. If you have questions, or would like help with the installation, our time to help you is "technical support" which for some of you is billable. Also considered "technical support", is our time to interpret informational messages reported by Pearl during Prepare All Objects as well as our advice on how to modify your database so that those messages do not happen again. Help resolving errors or bugs in the installation procedure is never billable.