Reasons Why You Should Automate Your Grant Process
It's time to automate your grant processing, unless of course you like data entry.
Over 35 years ago, I was observing a nonprofit where I was volunteering and was stunned at the amount of data entry and redundancy that was created by manual tracking and follow-ups of gifts. I decided that this was an area where I could further help the mission of that nonprofit, and designed a database that would decrease the duplication of efforts. Today I am still surprised at the number of grantmakers and foundations who hang onto some old habits of data entry and typing and entering information into multiple places. Does your staff spend hours each week entering data into your database (or worse, spreadsheets)? Leveraging technology is the best way to maximize your man (and woman) power, as well as reduce data entry errors. At Bromelkamp Company, our motto is "Never type the same thing twice," and here's how we make this dream a reality.
- Are you using an electronic or web-based grant application? Nowadays you should be; your options are endless. Bromelkamp Company offers a highly customized option, eGrant.net, which provides both online applications and reports. With eGrant.net, you receive information electronically from your applicants, including attached files in a variety of formats (Word, Excel, PDF, media files, etc.). Applicants log in to your unique eGrant.net site and fill out your fully customized application and report forms, and eGrant.net stores their core data, like name and address, for future applications. This means less data entry for your applicants, too!
- Are you typing the same information in multiple locations? Where do you track incoming gifts or outgoing grants? Do you send letters of acknowledgement or grant agreements? Do you want access to that information for board reports or grantee meetings? With our Pearl or Akoya.net grants management systems, information submitted via eGrant.net is downloaded directly into your database, including attached documents, for internal review; no retyping necessary! Then you can merge information into letters, reports, and dashboards. I think I've already mentioned this, but please, never type the same thing twice!
- Using eGrant.net Reviewer, your Board members or review panelists can access the information submitted by your applicants through eGrant.net and complete an entirely paperless review. Foundation staff can also upload additional information to specific applications (like a funding history report) or to a group of applications directly from your Pearl or Akoya.net database. No need to create board books or spend money on postage! Scoring criteria and review group settings that are managed by you allow you to fully customize the reviewer experience.
- Once your review process is complete, enter your grant decisions into your database and upload them right into eGrant.net to update your applicants on the status of their requests. It's as easy as 1-2-3.
- Figure out what to do with all your new-found free time. Hey, our technology can't do everything for you, even though we try!